Here we go again as a new school year has quickly arrived! I am sure most of you are organized and ready to go, but in our household it has been a mad rush to get school supplies, clothes and teenage sleeping patterns all in order!! All of us at Chinook are eagerly anticipating the upcoming year as we continue with the implementation of the Strategic Plan (available at www.chinooksd.ca) recently approved by our Board.
Things to expect this year include:
Year 3 of Math Momentum
- Teachers will be introducing Guided Math, which provides instruction at the appropriate level for your child…check with your school or SCC about activities you can do at home to support this learning opportunity in Math.
- We have increased the time for our Math coaches to be in schools working with our teachers to continue to enhance Math instruction in classrooms.
- 7% more students were meeting or exceeding expectation in Math after Year 2 of the Math Momentum initiative, for a cumulative gain of 18% these past 2 years.
- Our goal is 25% increase in 4 years…we are well on our way!
Supports For Learning Pilot
- Every 2 weeks teachers and specialists will meet at the pilot schools to discuss and implement ways to meet needs of students not having success.
- 5 schools will be pilot sites: Maple Creek Comp, Gull Lake, Herbert, Central, Irwin.
- Our instructional strategies and Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) program will continue and we will increase our focus with our Early Years students.
- We now have 81% students meeting or exceeding expectations in Chinook.
New Report Cards
- Elementary will have new report cards that were piloted last year.
- We will be piloting new High School Report Cards this year.
Numerous Operational Items
- Implement new school year calendar…increase to 950 instructional hours in compliance with the recent changes in Provincial Legislation.
- Facility upgrades in Burstall, Fox Valley, Leader, Pontiex, Swift Current, Shaunavon.
Also, we will be administering our Employee Satisfaction Survey this fall to determine if we are continuing to meet our vision of being a "great place to go to school and go to work!"
Have a great school year everyone!