The Chinook calendar committee has developed a traditional calendar, based on past feedback. The 2019-2020 Chinook Calendar
is Board approved and complies with Ministry requirements and Article 17 of the Provincial Collective Bargaining Agreement. Typically, we try to set our division calendar early so that families may plan in a proactive manner.
- Legislation requires students begin school following Labour Day. Our calendars have been developed with the change in mind.
- The calendar is reviewed and approved by the board in early January and then approved by the Ministry of Education.
- One school admin day has been moved from the end of June to the beginning of the year to permit teachers more time in their classrooms prior to start up.
- As in the past, schools will have the opportunity to work with their local school communities to determine specific student conference times and formats.
- The Saskatchewan Education Act requires the following:
- A minimum of 950 hours of instructional time per year;
- Six weeks of summer vacation;
- Post Labour Day student start time;
- Christmas break that begins no later than December 23 and ends not sooner than January 2;
- A Spring break with no more than 5 consecutive days.
- Ministry of Education Provincial Examinations - January 27, 28, 29, 30; June 23, 24, 25, 26.
- Chinook Board of Education requires 3 professional learning community days; 2 student conference days; 3 professional development days; 3 admin days; and one convention day.
Highlights of the approved 2019-2020 Calendar
197 days including non-instructional days; 186 instructional days
• September 3 – Students begin
• October 28 – Teacher Convention
• Longer Christmas break: 2 weeks, December 23-January 3
• January 31 – Turn-around day for all staff
• February break: February 17-21
• Long weekend in March for students and families
• Easter break: April 10-17
• Students finish June 26