Chinook School Division is featuring profiles on our Board members throughout the 2018-2019 school year. We gave them a series of questions to answer so our families and communities can get to know them a little better...
This month's profile is ALLAN BRIDAL
Al Bridal is a Trustee for Subdivision 8 which includes all Swift Current schools: Fairview, Central, Irwin, École Centennial, CAMPS, Maverick and SCCHS. Al has been a Trustee with Chinook for two years. He also spent 6 years on the Swift Current School Board #94 in the early 1990s.
1. Why did you become a trustee?
I want to make a positive difference in our education system.
2. What do you feel you bring to the Board table?
35 years in business without deficit financing, 20 years plus on different governing boards, and just being a down to earth person for 60 plus years.
3. What kinds of things does a board of education do?
1) Read vast amounts of reports.
2) Try to keep students, parents and staff happy.
3) Discuss problems and come up with solutions we can afford.
4. What is your most memorable school event or activity you have been a part of?
Meeting once yearly with the Hutterian Brethren and discovering that education is very important to them.
5. What do you feel is one of the most important issues facing the Education sector today?
Technology and the modern idea that “it”, not people, will solve problems.
6. What is your most heart-warming and/or funniest moment in your time as a trustee?
Sitting on the floor with a kindergarten student, having a book read to me and seeing the young “wonder of life” through a five year old’s eyes.
7. What do you want people to know about being a trustee?
You do not do it for the big glory... you do it for the small miracles you see every day as students learn.
8. What are you looking forward to in regards to the future of the Education sector?
A senior level of government that shows education is important by their actions, not just giving “lip service” to how important they think the public wants them to say it is.