The Chinook Calendar Committee developed two calendar options for the 2018-2019 school year. Through an online vote, several Chinook employees and parent stakeholders chose their preferred calendar for the 2018-2019 school year. As a result of the vote, "Calendar A
" was chosen. The calendar has been approved by the Chinook Board of Education and meets the Ministry of Education requirements.
Our division practice has always been for a committee to create calendar options for our staff to consider. Typically, we try to set our division calendar early so that families may plan in a proactive manner.
- Legislation requires students begin school following Labour Day. Our calendars have been developed with the change in mind.
- Parents and Chinook staff will have the opportunity to state their preference through the online survey.
- The chosen calendar will need to be reviewed and approved by the board in early January and then approved by the Ministry of Education.
- One school admin day has been moved from the end of June to the beginning of the year to permit teachers more time in their classrooms prior to start up.
- As in the past, schools will have the opportunity to work with their local school communities to determine specific student conference times and formats.
- The Saskatchewan Education Act requires the following:
- A minimum of 950 hours of instructional time per year;
- Six weeks of summer vacation;
- Post Labour Day student start time;
- Christmas break that begins no later than December 23 and ends not sooner than January 2;
- A Spring break with no more than 5 consecutive days.
- Ministry of Education Provincial Examinations - January 23, 24, 25, 28; June 20, 24, 25, 26.
Chinook Board of Education requires 3 professional learning community days; 2 student conference days; 3 professional development days; 3 admin days; and one convention day.
Highlights of Calendar A
197 days including non-instructional days; 186 instructional days
- September 4 - Students begin
- Longer (two week) Christmas; shorter Easter (April 19 - 24)
- February break (Feb 18 - 22)
- Teacher Convention - March 22
- Long weekend March (4-day weekend) for students and families
- Students finish June 26
- Unbalanced semesters (92 student days sem 1; 94 student days sem 2)
- 310 minutes of instruction per day (or 5.176 hours per day)
A total of 937 people voted in the online survey:
- 254 staff participated in the vote
- 161 staff with children in the schools
- 562 parents/guardians participated
- 10 community members participated
567 people chose Calendar A.