This year, all Chinook employees and parents/caregivers may vote for their preferred calendar for the 2021-2022 school year. The Chinook Calendar Committee has, once again, developed two calendar options. Typically, we try to set our Division calendar early so families may plan in a proactive manner.
Teresa Broberg – Bus Driver, Gull Lake
Trisha Carleton – Vice Principal, Ponteix School
Carla Flaig – Educational Assistant, Garden Plane Hutterian School
Val Gordon – SWAC Athletic Coordinator
Bonita Moon – Office Manager, Stewart Valley School
Char Peters – CTA Vice President/Teacher, Wymark School
Tracy Philp – Teacher/Principal, Waldeck Colony
Marion Sanford – Office Manager, Eastend School
Shauna Lacher – Supervisor of Employee Compensation
Ken Garinger – Superintendent of HR
Both calendar options are posted online for families and staff to vote. Voting is open January 18-24, 2021.
Links to the calendar options and online survey are below.
The goal of this consultation process is to have a calendar recommended to the Chinook Board of Education early in the new year.Key Points
- For the 2021-22 school year, legislation requires students begin school prior to Labour Day.
- The chosen calendar will need to be reviewed and approved by the board in early February and then approved by the Ministry of Education.
- As in the past, schools will have the opportunity to work with their local school communities to determine specific parent-teacher conference times and formats.
Calendar Options “PURPLE” and “PINK” (197 days including non-instructional days; 186 instructional days)
- The Saskatchewan Education Act requires the following:
- A minimum of 950 hours of instructional time per year, a max of 1044 hours;
- Six weeks of summer vacation;
- Post Labour Day student start time, with an exception if Labour Day falls on September 5 or later (2021 Labour Day is September 6);
- A Christmas break that begins no later than December 23 and ends not sooner than January 2;
- A Spring break with no more than 5 consecutive days.
- Ministry of Education Provincial Examinations – January 25-28, June 23-28).
- Chinook Board of Education requires 3 professional learning community days; 2 student conference days; 3 professional development days; 3 admin days; and one convention day.
*The only difference between the two calendar options is the Christmas break dates.
- Three traditional breaks
- September 2 - Students begin
- Teacher Convention (October 8)
- Christmas break* (PURPLE: Dec 22 - Jan 4 or PINK: Dec 18 - Jan 2)
- February break (February 21-25)
- Long weekend in March for students and families
- Easter break (April 18-22)
- Students finish June 28
The vote results will be compiled by the Chinook Calendar Committee, who will submit the recommended calendar to the Chinook Board of Education for approval at the February 8, 2021 Board Meeting.