Chinook School Division is featuring profiles on our Board members throughout the 2018-2019 school year. We gave them a series of questions to answer so our families and communities can get to know them a little better...
Susan Mouland is the Trustee for Subdivision 7, which includes the schools in Vanguard, Ponteix and Val Marie, as well as the six Hutterian schools in the area. Susan has been on the Chinook Board of Education for almost three years, as she was elected in fall of 2016.
1. Why did you become a trustee?
I became a trustee because I enjoy education and I am very interested in students and their success.
2. What do you feel you bring to the Board table? (experience, skills, career, expertise, a particular perspective)
I have been a business owner for almost 30 years now and I also worked in the school as Maintenance person for seven years, so I have those perspectives. I also have had three children go through Vanguard school, so I am very interested in education as well as extra-curricular activities like sports.
3. What kinds of things does a board of education do?
We deal with budgets and decisions about Chinook school division. We also have the pleasure of having students come into the board room to let us know what they are learning and creating which is very interesting and we look forward to that.
4. What is your most memorable school event or activity you have been a part of?
I always enjoy the Christmas suppers at the schools and Maverick does a coffee house which I enjoy a lot.
5. What do you feel is one of the most important issues facing the Education sector today?
Funding is one area of importance right now as well as population of our rural schools.
6. What is your most heart-warming and/or funniest moment in your time as a trustee?
Heart-warming would be seeing kids that maybe were struggling to figure it out and move on, whether it would be educational or emotionally.
7. What do you want people to know about being a trustee?
That there is a lot to learn, but it is very rewarding and I enjoy it.
8. What are you looking forward to in regards to the future of the Education sector?
To see what is next. Things are changing very fast, especially with technology.